The ADMIRAL Project: A Data Management Infrastructure for Research Across the Life sciences
ADMIRAL is a project of the Image Bioinformatics Research Group and is funded by the JISC.
The purpose of the ADMIRAL Project is to create a two-tier federated data management infrastructure for use by life science researchers, that will provide services (a) to meet their local data management needs for the collection, digital organization, metadata annotation and controlled sharing of biological datasets; and (b) to provide an easy and secure route for archiving annotated datasets to an institutional repository, The Oxford University Data Store, for long-term preservation and access, complete with assigned Digital Object Identifiers and Creative Commons open access licences.
As such, it seeks to promote datasets as first class information objects, and particularly aims to serve the ‘long tail’ of small research groups that do not have the resources to create their own data management tools. It will form part of Oxford's contributions to the UK Research Data Service pathfinder activities (http://www.ukrds.ac.uk/), providing a working exemplar of data management of real biological research datasets provided by bench and field research scientists.
The project is more fully explained in the ADMIRAL Project Case for Support.
- Web site (Mediawiki): http://imageweb.zoo.ox.ac.uk/wiki/index.php?title=ADMIRAL
- Project announcements blog: http://admiral-announce.blogspot.com/
- Code/documents repository: http://code.google.com/p/admiral-jiscmrd/
- Issue tracker: http://code.google.com/p/admiral-jiscmrd/issues/list
- Databank installation instructions
- Live project plan: ADMIRAL planning
- Project management notes / agile ecosystem: ADMIRAL agile ecosystem and project procedures
- Original project plan: http://imageweb.zoo.ox.ac.uk/pub/2009/admiral/20091021-ADMIRAL-Project-Plan-NoBudget.pdf
- Phase 1 to phase 2 transition notes: ADMIRAL 20110120 Phase 2 transition
- Monthly meetings. From March 2010, we shall convene meetings on the third Thursday of each month, to act as a "heartbeat" for the project, and to keep all partners informed about progress and forthcoming expectations. (Circumstances have conspired to prevent these meetings in March and April.)
- ADMIRAL 20100318 monthly meeting
- ADMIRAL 20100520 project partners meeting
- ADMIRAL 20100520 advisory board meeting
- ADMIRAL 20100617 project partners meeting
- ADMIRAL 20100715 project partners meeting
- ADMIRAL 20100825 technical meeting with library services
- ADMIRAL 20100916 project partners meeting
- ADMIRAL 20100927 technical meeting with library services
- ADMIRAL 20101021 project partners meeting
- ADMIRAL 20101118 project partners meeting
- ADMIRAL 20101216 project partners meeting
- ADMIRAL 20110317 project partners meeting
- ADMIRAL 20110526 project partners meeting
Research user meetings
- Introductory meetings with ADMIRAL Test User research groups
- Silk group (Vollrath) ADMIRAL 20100128 meeting Silk Group
- Developmental Biology group (Shimeld) ADMIRAL 20100128 meeting Development Group
- Animal Behaviour group (Kacelnik) ADMIRAL 20100222 meeting Behaviour Group
- ADMIRAL deployment ADMIRAL 20110222 meeting behaviour Group
- Elephant group (Vollrath)
- User review meetings
Other project meetings
- Research data usage surveys
Test user requirements and data management and audit notes
- DCC Data management plan template - ADMIRAL Data Management Plan Template
- A brief ADMIRAL Project Introduction for participating researchers [Word document, 74 kb] is available here.
- ADMIRAL Research Data Survey [Word document, 144 kb] is available here.
- ADMIRAL Data Lab Notebook [Word document, 144 kb] is available here.
Repository submission requirements
- OULS Databank: http://databank.ouls.ox.ac.uk/
- Databank submission requirements - minimum for preservation: ADMIRAL Databank submission requirements
- Problems with Safari and IE - ADMIRAL with Safari and IE
- ADMIRAL technical overview and rationale - ADMIRAL Technical Overview
- For information about generating, updating and configuring ADMIRAL systems, see Zakynthos Configuration. These notes are not ideally organized, but they do refer to the key steps that need to be performed to install or update an ADMIRAL system.
- Life Science Data Store (LSDS) requirements - ADMIRAL LSDS requirements and survey
- Virtual machine configuration and build - Apache/WebAuth/WebDAV/Samba/Kerberos/etc. (zakynthos) - Zakynthos Configuration @@TODO: separate general setup instructions from the configuration details.
- ADMIRAL system update procedure - Zakynthos Configuration
- Notes on strategy for building virtual machines for different research groups - ADMIRAL Multiple Systems
- Notes for setting up LSDS test server host (zoo-patmos) - ADMIRAL LSDS setup
- Ubuntu 10.04 issues Ubuntu 10.04
- Notes about authenticating with University SSO credentials - ADMIRAL SSO credentials
- Allocating LVM for data - ADMIRAL LVM allocation
- Migrating ADMIRAL system to use larger iSCSI storage facility - ADMIRAL LVM migration
- Commands for mounting shares from windows - ADMIRAL Windows mount shares
- VMWare ESXi notes - ADMIRAL VMWare ESXi notes (Includes instructions for installing ADMIRAL system on ESXi server)
- Installing Mercurial on Linux for repository sharing - Mercurial repository publication
- Saving files from Zakynthos to GoogleCode Mercurial - ADMIRAL Mercurial repository save
- Using Dropbox from ADMIRAL - Dropbox on ADMIRAL
- Dataset DOIs:
- Databank specification proposals - ADMIRAL Databank specification proposal
- Draft Databank-specific metadata - Databank-specific metadata properties
- http://damssupport.ouls.ox.ac.uk/trac/databank - home page for the Databank wiki
- Related work and links - ADMIRAL related work
- Remote Desktop Setup for connecting from Linux to Windows - Remote Desktop Setup
- Overview of data packages submitted to Databank - ADMIRAL data packages
- Files created without owner read access - Samba file permissions problem
- Python RDFLib setup notes
ADMIRAL Project Code Structure
- Overview of the code structure with brief description - ADMIRAL Project Code Structure
- File access matrix - ADMIRAL file access matrix
- Security, trust and threat model - ADMIRAL LSDS security model
- Using Linux ACLs to control access for local access, access using cifs, webdav and http - ADMIRAL ACL file access control
- HTTP/HTTPS protocol tracing - Wireshark
- Benefits case / business case for ADMIRAL - ADMIRAL Benefits / Business Case
- Benefits case study for JISC -- ADMIRAL Benefits Case Study
- Proposal for demonstration as JISC conference - ADMIRAL JISC Conference Demonstration Proposal
- Research Objects collaboration with Manchester - ...
- Low-impact change - Maintenance procedure for low-impact changes
- Notes from 4-Feb-2010 meeting with Zoology IT support - ADMIRAL 20100204 meeting - IT Support
- Configuration notes for hosting live ADMIRAL services - ADMIRAL Server configuration notes
JISC Programme and related pages
This includes an overview of the the #jiscmrd projects, materials provided by the support projects, example data management plans and DCC training materials.
- This useful site documents research funders' data archiving policies: http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/juliet/.
- http://lavalinux.blogspot.com/2009/02/ifolder-on-ubuntu.html - dropbox-like?
- Ubuntu/Active Directory integration - white paper: http://www.canonical.com/sites/default/files/active/Whitepaper-ActiveDirectoryIntegration-v1.pdf
ADMIRAL project personnel
Principal investigator: Dr David Shotton
Project manager: Graham Klyne